Contests & Handbook
Each year, Iredell Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) sponsor contests for students in Iredell County. Information on the contests is available to schools in the fall, and the contest entries are due in late January.
The theme for 2020-2021 is We All Live in a Watershed.
Students winning in each category on the County level receive the following awards:
- 1st Place: $25
- 2nd Place: $15
- 3rd Place: $10
- 1st Place winners from each category will advance on to the Area VIII level competition.
- 1st Place winners from the Area VIII Level competition will advance on to the State level.
Contest Details (Click on each contest below to see a flyer with more details)
- Poster Contest (PDF) (3rd - 6th Grade): Students create an original poster depicting a story about the current contest theme. Posters are judged on the conservation message, visual effectiveness, and universal appeal.
- Essay Contest (PDF) (6th Grade): Students write a 300-500 word essay showing they understand the theme content, using an innovative and original style with a clear message easily understood by the reader, with correct grammar, proper paragraph transitions with a good opening and closing tie-in with the theme. Essays should be neat and meet all contest rules in order to be considered.
- Computer Designed Slide Show Contest (PDF) (6th Grade): Students design an original slide show using Microsoft PowerPoint containing no more than 15 slides depicting the theme. Presentations will be based on the conservation message, visual effectiveness, universal appeal, and originality.
- Public Speaking Contest (PDF) (7th and 8th Grade): Students give a 4-6 minute speech and are judged on:
- Comprehension and knowledge of the subject
- Skillful use of facts
- Speaking skills such as voice and diction, style, body language, poise, eye contact, and rapport with the audience
Due to the health concerns regarding COVID-19, we have suspended the 2020-2021 Public Speaking Contest. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, but here at Iredell SWCD, health and safety is our number one priority. We look forward to continuing this contest for our students next year. We thank you for your understanding.
- Computer Designed Poster Contest (PDF) (9th Grade): Students design an original electronic poster that depicts the theme. Presentations will be based on conservation message, visual effectiveness, universal appeal, and originality.
All contests follow guidelines established by the North Carolina Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts and are administered by the local districts. The 2020-2021 Contest Handbook (PDF) includes specific rules and tips for each contest.